Wednesday, July 4, 2012

motivation...

We all have good days and bad days. But what happens when a bad day happens to fall on a gym day? Well, that's just the problem I ran into on Monday.


After a day filled of emotional turmoil, I was physically exhausted! Drained. Done. I knew it was a gym day and I initially had every intention of working out! But by the time all was said and done, I wanted nothing more than to curl up into a ball and shut out the world.

I still had this nagging feeling in my gut. I didn't want to let myself down. I didn't want to throw away all my hard work just because I had a rough day. It didn't make sense! My energy level was low but I decided that even if I don't complete a full program, I must do something. They say exercise helps make you feel better. I wanted to experience that first hand.

I dragged myself off of the couch, changed into my workout gear, pulled out my yoga mat and sat on it. Well, that's a start! Still feeling low, I opted for pushups. Then tricep pushups. Then shoulder pushups. I completed a set of pulsing squats, a two-minute plank, some free weights.

My energy was still low and after 40 mins, I was done. I didn't feel any better emotionally. But I was proud of myself for doing SOMETHING. Do I guess that kind of helped. I know my lack of intensity may impact my weigh-in this week, but I'm going to work hard on my workout days this week to make up for it. I'm not going to overdo it. But my heart will be in it, unlike on Monday.

Yesterday was a kettlebell workout, which made me feel great! I managed to do three sets of 20 one arm swings! Walking lunges with shoulder presses, one arm chest presses, skull crushers... all kinds of crazy things! It was hard considering I was still a bit down and had been distracted all day but I was grateful for it. After that, my head felt much clearer! My heart felt less heavy. And finally, I slept. Maybe exercise really does make you feel better! Hmmm...

So when you're having an off day, don't give up. That's when your efforts matter the most! Try to do something. Try to remember your goals. Try to have faith in your strength and your abilities. Don't throw in the towel! Do something! You'll be glad you did, and maybe next time, you'll handle the bad day even better!

Here are a few motivational posters I have come across that help me on the bad days:

No comments:

Post a Comment