Wednesday, June 27, 2012

little etiquette goes a long way...

Regardless of where you workout, a little etiquette goes a long way! For instance, if you're out for a bike ride, don't scare people by riding right behind them, willing them to move out of your way, or darting out from behind then, causing them to jump! Use your bike horn or warn people what side you're coming up behind them.


Or when you workout at a gym, wipe down the machines after you use them. No one wants to be sitting in someone else's sweat! Gross!

Another small bit of etiquette that I've rarely heard discussed but should be - be aware of your surroundings! I think it's great when people are in the zone, with their favourite playlist blaring through their headphones. However, when walking through the weight room of your gym, pay attention!!!

Don't walk right in front of or right behind someone that's in the middle of a set. Give them a bit of space! Not only could they hit you, causing you bodily harm, but while trying to avoid you they could alter their form in a way that is harmful to them!

Yesterday while at the gym I performed a kettlebell workout with Shira. She had me doing one-arm swings with the kettlebell. Three separate girls walked right up behind me while I was mid-swing, despite us trying to warn them! All three were so lucky I didn't hit them! The sheer force of the swing would have caused significant pain, bruising and possibly a fracture! And with me being as short as I am, I surely could have taken one of their knees out.

While performing one-leg dead lifts, another woman lay down on the mat for her core work session but nearly right under where I was! There was no shortage of mat space and we certainly weren't using much room. However by choosing right immediately beside/under me for her mat work, my balance and concentration were thrown, as I kept thinking of her safety! I didn't want to drop a kettlebell on her head! Again, my form and workout were compromised because someone else wasn't being aware of their surroundings and I had to move to complete my set.

The moral of the story is, be careful!! Pay attention to what is going on around you. Having good form while you workout is useless if you're just going to walk into someone that's swinging a weight, etc. Injuries like this can be prevented and avoided with a little awareness.

Be safe and have a happy workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment