Monday, June 25, 2012

getting started...

While I have always considered myself to be and active person - running, dancing, playing soccer, engaging in all kinds of crazy workout videos, etc. - I got to a point where I hit a wretched plateau. It's as if the strength I knew I had in the inside just wasn't matching up with how I looked on the outside. Knowing that made me feel frustrated, down, and hard on myself for not doing "enough".


I have learned that plateaus happen to everyone! Your body just starts to adjust to your workout and suddenly it's not as much of a challenge as you thought it was. Still, I had no idea where that left me!

Being quite self-conscious, I was terrified at the thought of signing up at a gym. Past experiences have made me feel like you already had to be "skinny" or "in shape" to even attend the gym. I recall days going to co-ed gyms where I was surrounded by girls with perfectly flat stomachs, slender thighs, and beefy men approaching me between sets for my number... It was awkward and intimidating. It wasn't what I wanted. I wanted to get in, literally work my butt off, and leave completely drenched in sweat - not feel inferior and like a piece of meat all at the same time.

I now realize a few things. The first being that I was allowing myself to be intimidated by these gorgeous, strong, dedicated women. Being a perfectionist, I felt I couldn't measure up! But now, years later, I know it's not a competition. It's all about me! My health! My body! Making me better! I may never have a perfectly flat stomach, but I am strong and capable and a force to be reckoned with! Who cares what the girl beside me is lifting! What matters is that I try, I work hard and I improve! The competition lies with me!

The next thing I realized is that I was going to have to get out of my comfort zone in order to make change happen. I've read this everywhere and suddenly it was totally hitting me. A friend of mine had recently signed up at Women's Fitness Clubs (www.womensfitnessclubs.com) and I was immediately intrigued! I made an appointment to get more info right away. I was glad I did. It feels like the best place I could have started to beat this damn plateau!

Enter Shira. My personal trainer. My motivator. (You can view her profile here! http://womensfitnessclubs.com/trainer-details.php?trainer_id=53) Tall, lean, strong, gorgeous, knowledgeable - I could not feel more like her opposite, being as short and not-lean as I am hahaha.

I had never had an interest in using a trainer before. The stories I had heard from friends who had used them scared me! For example, one friend had a trainer who made her hate her body. How horrible! No one deserves that! I have learned first hand that that dreadful trainer was an isolated incident. Most of the ones I have met are very friendly, approachable, and helpful.

Anyway, while skeptical at first, terrified, defeated, frustrated... I then remembered I had decided to move out of my comfort zone. So I signed up for a few sessions.

Working with Shira has been so incredibly rewarding! She is so positive and encouraging that I never feel bad about myself. In fact, I look forward to my sessions with her! I leave the gym feeling so strong, so accomplished and just in awe at what she got me to do! More on that later.

When it comes to getting in shape, losing weight, fitting into that one pair of pants that just haunts you... It's not easy to get started! But once you make that decision and you commit - your life will never be the same again.

You have to believe in yourself. Know that you are so much stronger than you probably give yourself credit for! Try hard. Eat well. Sleep well. The rest will all fall into place.

In a few short weeks, I am already seeing changes in my body, my strength, my weight, and my overall physical fitness, my self-confidence. I approach each workout with positive energy. I try my hardest. I bust my butt! It's worth it. I went from being able to do 5 push-ups on my toes to 25 in one set! Seeing changes, feeling changes, feeling healthier - nothing compares!

I urge you to start taking steps on your own journey to a better you. Educate yourself, try, be active and learn to make healthy decisions. You'll be so glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment