Wednesday, November 7, 2012

the right motivation...

It's no secret that my family history is riddled with all kinds of bad things. To help combat these illnesses, I have spent the last few years trying to educate myself, better myself, make healthier choices, and make a better effort to exercise. I've noticed that my motivation keeps evolving. Sometimes, it's truly just for vanity. I want to look good! I want to feel good in my own skin! Who doesn't?


Lately my motivation has changed again. It's become a mix of "I want to be the best me ever!" with "I want to be a good example for my family" and a bit of "I want to keep my family history from eating me alive... I don't want to be a ticking diabetic time bomb... I want to live a long and healthy life!"

I have been almost forcefully pleading with my family to make healthier changes. I know this will happen when they are ready, but I'm scared something horrible will happen before they get that chance. I'm not trying to be pessimistic. Truly, this is the realistic side of me speaking.

I know I have to let them find their own motivation. I know this. And yet, I can't keep my heart from wanting to burst with desire to help them change. It's fear for them - for their health. And it's also fear for me. What am I without my family? Nothing... They are my everything...

My best friend recently lost her sister-in-law to ovarian cancer. I saw the pain and suffering they silently endured as she bravely fought this disease for the past four years. I saw how positive she was, how she never gave up hope - not for a second! I saw how she bravely tried any treatment she could to rid her body of cancer. I saw how she actively fought against a disease that was thrust upon her. And it made me think...

I know the odds are stacked against me for certain things. If she could fight that hard, what excuse did I have? Laziness?? Ridiculous! How dare I be lazy and take a backseat in the prevention of things that I KNOW I could be up against?

Has this journey been easy? Not for a second! But I already know it has been worth it! Not only do I look better, but I feel better - emotionally, mentally, physically. I go to the gym and work to the MAX! And I love myself more for it. I know I'm doing the right thing. And I know that it means that every healthy choice I make is me battling what could be...

One of my sisters has recently started her fitness journey. It's been hard, but she is reaping the rewards of her hard work. She, too, finds that her motivation changes and the more she keeps at it, not only does it get easier, but she wants to keep at it more! I'm so proud of her!

We are all a work in progress, but every little bit helps.

What motivates you to be healthy? What drives you to change? How do you keep from giving up?

No comments:

Post a Comment